Friday 2 August 2013

Notre Tour de France #13 (76 mi)

Awake, breakfast, pack up, bathroom, and away. We followed the route I took yesterday on my own to the coast, starting at L'Aiguillon-sur-Mer and working our way north. A quick check of the wifi before we left confirmed that my replacement gear shifter would be delivered today, despite only ordering it on Tuesday evening from England. So now we have a target destination: Camping Le Pin Parasol where it will be delivered.

After our routine coffee in L'Aiguillon (expensive at €1.50 each... Yesterday we paid just €1 each and that came with a biscuit), we made good progress along the flat coastline. Jwan was a rocket today and there was barely a moment when I wasn't struggling to keep up with him. With his new cycling outfit that he bought the other day, which is colour coordinated with his bike and helmet, he really does look the business.

After buying lunch in a supermarket in Les Sables D'Olonne, we put it in the panniers to find somewhere scenic to eat. At one point we got split up. Jwan entered a roundabout but I wasn't quick enough and had to wait for it to clear. I then ended up taking a different exit. Once I realised what had happened, my first thought wasn't "how am I going to find him", but rather "he's got the bloody sandwiches with him and I'm hungry!". About 10 minutes later when we were reunited, I told this to Jwan who promptly laughed to himself and said "my first thought was that I have the sandwiches but you have the drinks, and I can't have my lunch without the diet Coca Cola".

The original plan was to make good progress, which we did, and then go relax on one of the beaches for a couple of hours. Well, the weather forecast for today was completely wrong. It was meant to be hot and sunny, but a blanket of cloud soon threw that forecast out of the window. It became cool and the sun only made an appearance in the late evening.

We made it to Camping Le Pin Parasol and I collected my bike part. We then cycled down the road to a lay-by by the lake, where I fit it while Jwan went around exploring the local area. Once this was all finished, we set off to the neighbouring village to find a supposed municipal campsite, as Pin Parasol would have cost us over €32 for one night! Such a campsite didn't exist, so we backtracked about 3 miles to another site. This was very nice... But also at full capacity. So off we set again and 10 minutes later we found one which had some places available.

It is the most expensive campsite we have stayed at yet at €19 per night, but we were both too tired to continue our search. To make the most of such an extravagant purchase, we used the pool for 30 minutes or so before it closed. There is wifi here, but at a cost of €15 for three days. No thank you very much. The prices in the bar and the shop are also bordering on ridiculous. The site itself is nice, but we're just not getting that "good vibe" that we've had at other sites. We might stay here for another night simply for the convenience, otherwise we will pack up in the morning and take the equipment over in the direction of La Roche-sur-Yon, which we plan to explore for the day. If we see a more suitable campsite on the way, we can drop the baggage off en-route.

And that's all for today. I could relax here with a Piña Colada, but it'll cost me €4.80. I could have an ice cream, but that will cost me €2.50. Ugh. I think I might go and sulk in bed. See you later.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stu,

    Good to hear from you :)

    Take the D38 through Brem Sur Mer; at the far end there will be a roundabout, go right on to the D80. Stay on the D80 for 6.8Km and then take a right at a roundabout on to the D87 (Route De La Mer). Follow for 11Km to a roundabout. Take a right on to Rue des Branches. 1.2 Km from here is the sea and follow the road round to the right which will take you to the car park :) Look for the signs for Chadotel Des Dune La Sables

    Have fun in the waves and say hello from me!

    M & G x x

    ReplyDelete